Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Advent 3: Will the Real John the Baptist Please Stand Up?

Isaiah 35:1-10
Psalm 146:5-10
James 5:7-10
Matthew 11:2-11

First Lesson: Isaiah 35:1-10

Challenges:

Of course, there is the usual, "When will all of this happen?" (look at the Gospel for an answer to this question).

The image of the "wilderness and dry land" being glad is a good one, but it is rather sad to know that while there is certainly irrigated and flourishing farmland in the Holy Land today, it comes at the expense of other areas, which have become dryer and dryer.  The Jordan River, for instance, is little more than a watery ditch in some places while the Dead Sea is becoming lower and lower.  While a challenge, this could also be an opportunity to compare and contrast God's actions with humanity's actions.


Opportunities:

Again there are powerful images in this passage.  How could they be fleshed out for today?  What do strengthened hands and firm knees look like (v.3) or strong hearts (v.4)?  And how about the blind seeing?

Here's an example:

In his book The Reason For God, Timothy Keller tells the story of a drug dealer who lived a very violent and immoral life.  Finally, in one deal gone bad, he was shot and lost his sight.  This experience, however, proved to be a catalyst that caused him to change his life and become a follower of Jesus. He said, "As my physical eyes were closed, my spiritual eyes were opened, as it were.  I finally saw how I'd been treating people.  I changed, and now for the first time in my life I have friends, real friends.  It was a terrible price to pay, and yet I must say it was worth it.  I finally have what makes life worthwhile." (Reason for God pg. 25)


The Good News:

I find it particularly good news to hear that "not even fools shall go astray" on the Holy Way that leads to Zion.  If I am honest with myself I know that I can be rather foolish most of the time: sometimes particularly so.  Quite often we are VERY afraid to appear foolish and that fear can stop us from stepping up and following Jesus.  "Saving face" or "not looking ridiculous" is something that stretches far beyond High School: the adult world knows these "values" quite well.  It can be liberating to put aside the fear of these things.

Psalm: Psalm 146: 5-10

Challenges:

The word "happy" is a complicated one that carries a great deal of cultural baggage.  When you hear the word "happy" it is easy to think of smiles and high-fives and Skittles falling from the sky (at least I do...when I mentioned how great it would be if Skittles fell from the heavens a venerable church lady looked at me and said, "But they'd chip the paint of your car!")

Anyway, what does it mean that "happy are those whose help is in the God of Jacob'? Does this mean we need to be upbeat all of the time? Well, of course not, but I'm sure at least one person hearing this on Sunday Morning might start to think this. For the sake of that one person, try to make it clear that "happy" doesn't have to mean "upbeat."  Maybe you don't mention it in your sermon, but you could make a side statement in between different parts of the liturgy.


Opportunities:

Like I said with the Isaiah text, there are some awesome examples: justice for the oppressed, food for the hungry, prisoners set free (7), the opening of blind eyes (8), etc. etc.  That's how God rolls.  What are some present day examples of this?  If you didn't mention Nelson Mandela in your sermon last week (or even if you did), his life could be a good example.  Especially since in his life many of these things fed off each other: his time in prison changed him profoundly and HIS freedom and how he used it became a chance for many of the OTHER things in this Psalm to begin to happen in South Africa.


The Good News:

Okay, so this is one of those times where it's all good news.  Sometimes you have to do hunting for it, here you just have to get out of its way!


Second Lesson: James 5:7-10

Challenges:

A very, very small percentage of the American population is employed in farming these days (certainly under 10%...or something like that, google it if you want an exact figure).  Therefore verse 7, with it's farming example, might seem a bit removed from our experience.  It might not connect with our ears, or even worse, seem quaint.

Also, when it comes to a critique of grumbling it is always important to not "grumble about people who grumble" if you know what I mean.  Have you ever heard anyone say, "I just hate it how negative those clowns are? It really annoys me!"  Don't get caught in the vortex of negativity!  

Opportunities:

While written almost 2,000 years ago, James sure can peg church people today, can't he?  If there is something we have brought to a near art-form it's grumbling.  This could be a great chance to humorously list the various types of grumbling you have seen in a church community.  Come up with your own, but here could be a few possibilities:

1) "Lonely Grumbling:" 'No one else will sign up to do "x" so I guess I'll keep doing it, even though I've been doing it for the past 3 months...'

2) "Sniper Grumbling:" 'You know what our leadership needs to do?  It's "x."  I've been trying to tell them! What was that?  Can I serve in leadership? Oh no, I don't have the time..."

3) "Nostalgic Grumbling:" "You know, there was a time when there weren't games on Sunday morning or Wednesday Night, we prayed in schools and had nativity scenes at the court house, what is wrong with us today? I'll tell you what, it's "x."

4) "The Grumbling Pastor" "People just don't...come to church anymore...read the bible anymore...care anymore...sing in church anymore...do "x" anymore..."

What are your favorite varieties of grumbling?

The Good News:

The Lord has not come in the way we hope, but there is assurance here that he is, in fact, coming.  Also, if things are not going particularly well for you and you think that you aren't making a difference, you are not alone.  Many of the prophets had a similar experience: it must have been very frustrating to be Amos or Micah or Jeremiah...I'm sure they felt like saying, "IS THIS MAKING A DIFFERENCE AT ALL?!?!?!"

Gospel: Matthew 11:2-11

Challenges:

One of the chief challenges with this, or any, text is the lack of adverbs or adjectives to describe John's vocal tone or demeanor.  Was he frustrated? Hopeful?  Worried? Disgusted?  Spiritually beaten down?

WILL THE REAL JOHN THE BAPTIST PLEASE STAND UP????

While many people are "sure" he felt a certain way, it is less than clear as to his mental and spiritual state.  If you are the one reading this lesson, the way that you speak John's lines will be interpretation itself.  This is a challenge, but that's what we signed up for!

Also, it is very, VERY easy for us to put-down John for not having a "proper understanding" of who Jesus really was.  Even if this is the case, I say we cut the guy some slack.


Opportunities:

I never saw John as a "doubter" in this story.  I always saw it as a matter of fact statement which ultimately says, "Hey, I know "the one" is coming sooner or later, of that I have no doubt, I just want to know if it's you."

I have no way to prove that's what John was really saying, but it's the way I see it in my mind's eye when I hear this story.  I'm also not saying I'm right...just that this is what I see. You might have people like me listening to you on Sunday.  I will certainly have people who look at it the other way listening to me.  This should be a reminder of all the different ways a group of people can hear the same story. Maybe you could explore all of these different possibilities of John's reaction.

The Good News:

Succinctly, the good news comes in the answer to John's question, "Are you the one?" That answer is simply, "YES." Jesus is pointing out the signs of "the Kingdom of Heaven" that have come near.

I have heard the question before, "What were the point of Jesus' miracles?"  It's a fair question. Were they meant to change the world? If so, why did he have to go and get himself killed? He could have stayed alive and taken on a utilitarian ethic that "did the most good." Or were the miracles just opportunities for people to believe, in which case the people healed were just props or "examples?"

All good questions.

I think the good news comes with the fact that Jesus miracles are BOTH signs to bring faith AND ways to change the world.  Jesus could have chosen signs that hurt or harmed people, signs that cowed his viewers into submission.  Instead he used signs that brought and enhanced life...because like his Father, that's how he rolls.  As his followers we get to roll that way too.  I think the church's benchmark for "success" should take into account all of the signs of the coming kingdom that Jesus lists in verses 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment