Tuesday, December 31, 2013

John, that whole "Word" concept is hazy, could you flesh it out a bit?

Jeremiah 31:7-14
Psalm 147:12-20
Ephesians 1:3-14
John 1:(1-9) 10-18


SPECIAL NOTE: This a "View from the Pew" addition.
 
In other words, I've attempted to simulate what it's like to hear these lessons on Sunday morning when I haven't had a whole week or more to dwell on them. It also made a difrerence that there was no long pause between lessons, I just had to take it all in as the words came. 
 
So I went into the empty sanctuary, read the lessons and then sat there in a pew and typed as quickly as possible (I call it "method-blogging").  It was actually helpful: you can try it yourself!


First Lesson: Jeremiah 31:7-14
 
Challenges:

It seems that good things are coming: I wonder when this will happen.  Did it happen back in Bible times?  I don't remember hearing about a time when people" never languished again." (v. 12) If there was a time like that, it didn't last long!  My life can be stressful and it seems like when good things like this happen to me, even in small doses, I don't really know how to handle them or 'take them in.' I hope God will help with this.

 
Oh yeah, and what will the old women being doing here? Verse 13 says that the young women will dance and the young AND old men will be merry. What about the old women? Will they be cleaning up after everyone else? What gives?

Opportunities:

 If we are giving out descriptions of the good things that God will do for the people I could add a few: the Cubs winning the World Series, Chicken Wings going back to 25 cents a wing, etc. etc.  Also, I remember singing "Listen You Nations of the World" from the old Green Hymnal: I really liked that tune and it seems that they got all the words from this passage.

The Good News:

Good things are coming: God will provide happiness and wholeness.  It might not be here yet, but God promises that it will come.  I'm not going to dwell on the specifics, as in what the old women will be doing: I'm sure God has that taken care of and it will be great for them.  God will build things up again.  We just have to hold on.
 
Psalm 147:12-20
 
Challenges:

Seems a bit exclusive there, doesn't it? I don't think the writer was thinking of Germans, Italians, Scots or Americans (all of the nations where my ancestors originated plus my own homeland).  Does this mean we're on the outside looking in? How do I get to be a part of Israel? How can I learn the ordinances of the Lord?
Opportunities:

I like the fact that God BOTH brings snow and ALSO melts it.  God is flexible like that. (see verse 16-18) As the father of a 3 year old, I have seen my fair share of crumb-hurling: I'm glad my daughter does not have access to hail.

The Good News:

 
Since according to this psalm I'm not a part of Israel and don't know God's ordinances (I'm being a bit snarky here), I guess the hail/crumb throwing and melting words are good things.  I'm mean they are good if the one doing them is benevolent, loving and just.  If the one doing these things ISN'T benevolent, loving and just we're in trouble!


 Second Lesson: Ephesians 1:3-14
 
Challenges:
Whoa, there's a lot of information here: you could concentrate on just a few verses and have enough for a Bible Study. There was something said early on that tripped me up a bit: who is the "us" that is destined for adoption in verse 5? Just the church?  I mean the Roman Emperors and everyone else didn't really appear to be marked with the Holy Spirit. But is also says that all things will be drawn to God. What with the what now?!?  Who gets destined for adoption today? Everyone?  Just a few people? Some are destined at one point and others at a different point? If we're destined do we have ANY part in loving God? And if we don't, doesn't that just make me some sort of robot for God?  I know a lot of other things were said in that passage, but I got caught up with this one. 

Opportunities:

Having said all of those things in the challenges, I will admit that it was good to hear that we are being called for a purpose: we have a job to do in God's great plan.  (verse11-14 or so)  It's really great to be a part of something greater than yourself: a team, congregation, business, country, etc. (well, most of the time it is).

The Good News:
 
Going back and looking at it again, verse 7 sticks out as good news: we've received redemption through the blood of Jesus Christ.  The word "redemption" somehow reminds me of my time living in Boston Massachusetts where aluminum can "redemption" centers were stationed throughout our neighborhood (usually connected with liquor stores). You could put your aluminum can in the machines and when the machine had read your bar code you were credited 5 cents (this was back in 2002-2005).
 
Those redemption centers smelled like old soda and skunky beer and the floors practically squelched as you walked on them,  but as a grad student without much ready cash, it was a great way to take something seemingly worthless and make it worthwhile.  It happened in a messy, way...but didn't out own redemption on the cross happen in such a way (multiplied to the millionth degree beyond this)?


THE GOSPEL: John 1:(1-9) 10-18
Challenges:

Ok, hard to find any challenges here: very beautiful stuff here. Well, I guess just one quick challenge: there are lots of Johns mentioned in the New Testament: John the Baptist, John the disciple, that John-guy who wrote Revelation: that's quite a few Johns to keep track of!


Also, what exactly does "The Word" mean? I might need to have that fleshed out for me [pun intended]...there's another 20 chapters after this one?  Oh.
 
Opportunities:
 
That whole line about 'the Word became Flesh and dwelt among us and we have seen his glory' is really, REALLY striking and personal. It gives me goosebumps to think that the writer of this Gospel has had a PERSONAL connection with Jesus the Word, the beloved Son: it makes this more significant, more real to me somehow. I don't care at this point about what scholars and professors say about when things were written and how this probably wasn't what it says it is: I resonate with the personal connection.

 
The Good News:


"The light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not overcome it." That sums it all up right there: that is a verse to memorize and repeat to myself when I am in dark places: both metaphorically and physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment