Monday, June 30, 2014

Do you get the Yoke?

Zechariah 9:9-12
Psalm 145:8-14
Romans 7:15-25a
Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30

First Lesson: Zechariah 9:9-12

Challenges:

Normally we would expect to hear this lesson on Palm Sunday so it might almost sound out of place here.  Also, I normally don't have trouble coming up with challenges for preaching on a text, but it's rather hard to come up with things here! It's a wonderful image: peace and liberation and hope and restoration.  Hard to find a challenge here! Except...

When texts have promises this wonderful, it is important to ask, does this apply to us? I think the answer is "yes," but it might take a bit of explaining on exactly HOW is does.  "The blood of my covenant with you," makes me think of the "new covenant in my blood" that Jesus refers to during the Last Supper. 

Opportunities:

Perhaps you could paint a verbal picture here of what everything will look like when this happens.  It could be somewhat humorous ("skittles falling from the sky," "the abolition of astro-turf on baseball fields" etc.) but move to rather serious to make a point (no more children dying of cancer, no more addictions, etc).

The Good News: 

As Christians, we believe that our king has already come to us: riding on a donkey, hanging from a cross and emerging from an empty tomb.  We have faith and hope that God's great rescue mission is not only underway, Jesus has already done all of the heavy lifting.  We're just waiting for him to come back.

Psalm: Psalm 145:8-14

Challenges:

Again, like the first lesson, these are beautiful and amazing promises about God and what God does.  Verses like "The LORD upholds all who are falling, and raises up all who are bowed down." can bring some questions.  It sure seems like this doesn't always happen. How about people who die tragically?  Why did God not uphold them?  Many congregations in my own denomination are losing members: there are probably many people who wonder, "will God uphold us? It feels like we're falling."  Answers to these challenges can be found below.

Opportunities:

I really believe that the WAY you read or speak this psalm makes a tremendous difference.  Saying that "The LORD upholds all who are falling..." in a smug, self-confident way will certainly ring false.  If a person, or group of people, use the idea behind this psalm as a way to puff themselves up, it is less than helpful.  Instead, if the psalm is read or said in a hopeful, humble, and thankful tone it can be very powerful indeed.  As with almost everything in life: the less smugness the better, the more humility the better, the more thankful the tone...you get the idea.

The Good News: 

As I have said for other passages, you don't have to go looking for the good news here: you practically have to get out of the way as it goes roaring right past you.

Second Lesson: Romans 7:15-25a

Challenges:

So, Paul, you say that it is "sin that dwells within me" that makes you do the things you don't want to do.  Does this really mean that "the devil made you do it?"  

Also, it's nice that Paul can "delight in the law of God in my inmost self." I thiink I do too...sometimes...other times I'm not even trying to do the right thing.  !As a matter of fact there are times when trying to do the right thing and having the wrong thing happen would be something of an improvement!


Opportunities:

I remember a conversation I had with a young boy at Vacation Bible School a few years ago. He was talking to me about why things were so hard for him at his school and why he kept getting into trouble.  He said, "In my head I'm the good guy, but when I say things and do things I become the bad guy."  He summed up the predicament Paul is describing quite well.

And also, John Donne's sonnet "Batter my heart, three person'd God" certainly comes to mind after reading this text. You can read the whole sonnet HERE. Donne describes himself as a usurped town, controlled by a foreign power.  Donne pleads with God to come and "imprison me" so that he will be truly free.  The idea that we are like captive towns, held by the enemy and in need of rescue is a very powerful thought.

As this lesson builds up in intensity and urgency, it could be great to read it louder and louder, faster and faster until you pause for a few seconds after asking "Who will rescue me from this body of death?"  Then, in a calm and measured tone, you can say "Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

The Good News: 

Okay, so I really gave Paul a hard time up in the "challenges" section, but I am very ready to admit that there are many times when I feel EXACTLY like what he is describing in this lesson.  I can feel like I am...well..."captive to sin and I can't free myself." (I remember hearing that somewhere).  First of all, I find comfort in knowing that I am not the only one to feel this way (not by a long shot!) and second, I feel great comfort, hope and inspiration in knowing that I am saved by and through Jesus Christ.  When I read this lesson, I get caught up in the salvation story and know that I am a part of it.


Gospel: Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30

Challenges:

If you are reading the Gospel lesson before you preach, in what tone will you read Jesus' words?  Will he sound angry? Frustrated?  Annoyed?  Your tone will make a difference.  Also, a phrase like "we played the flute for you and you did not dance..." does not necessarily connect readily for today's audiences.  How will you make it connect? And for that matter, what does it mean for someone to take on Jesus' yoke? Does that have something to do with an egg? What's going on here?

Opportunities:

Okay, while I said that dancing to the flute does not immediately connect, I will say that the reaction of people to both John the Baptist's and Jesus' ministry sounds very contemporary.  People are finicky, aren't they?  Something is always too old, too new, too easy, too hard, too boring, too exhausting, too...whatever.  If anything, we have become very good at finding excuses for just about anything. What are some of your favorite excuses (that someone has ever said to you...or that you have used yourself)?

To answer some of the questions from the challenges section, the "yoke" concept is a rabbinical phrase.  If you followed a particular rabbi, you took on their "yoke" which meant that you followed that particular rabbi's interpretation of God's law.  Jesus is saying that his yoke is easy and the burden it puts in place is light.
  
The Good News:

First of all, if Jesus is actually a friend of sinners (as he is accused) that sounds like good news to a sinner like me!  Also, there's something about following Rabbi Jesus that is very compelling.  It means that we are part of something greater than ourselves, we are not alone, we have a rabbi who cares about us.  It's also good to know that "wisdom is vindicated by its deeds."  In other words "truth will out!"  It's good to keep this in mind when it seems like only the devious, strong, and ruthless prevail.


No comments:

Post a Comment