Monday, July 7, 2014

Sow What?

Isaiah 55:10-13
Psalm 65: [1-8] 9-13
Romans 8:1-11
Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23

First Lesson: Isaiah 55:10-13

Challenges:


This is a very beautiful lesson (it’s the book of Isaiah after all!).  The imagery is very rich, the message is a good one, there is hope to be found here. This is great.  While I feel like a bit of a contrarian to write any type of challenge in preaching this, there is one thing that I could see as a problem (and it’s not Isaiah’s fault).  God’s word won’t come back until it shall “accomplish that which I purpose.” And herein comes the challenge. What does God purpose?  That takes a bit of figuring…at least in how you describe it and ‘flesh it out.’  So, when you’re waxing eloquent about rain and singing mountains and the myrtle…remember to also talk about what the purpose of God’s word is.

Opportunities:



I really like the image of bread going to the eater and seed to the sower after the rain has come down and watered the earth.  The parallel between this and the purpose and task of God’s word is a very good one.  Perhaps this is a time to talk about the ‘fruits’ of God’s word in your own context. Where do you see them growing and feeding people?  Thinking of God’s word as something that comes and nourishes us is a very good way to think about devotional bible study.

The Good News: 



There is a promise and assurance here that can fortify us when things are looking doubtful.  I don’t know about you, but sometimes I wonder if the words I speak from the pulpit…or anywhere else for that matter…actually make a difference.  If this whole “church thing” is changing anything.  Well, there’s no guarantee that when I preach 100% of what I say is worthwhile (wouldn’t that be nice?), but I can live in the promise that God is working in the world and that God has guaranteed that God’s purpose and tasks will be complete.  Living into this I say, “your kingdom come!” And I want to be a part of it.


Psalm: Psalm 65:[1-8] 9-13

Challenges:



What happens when there is no water? Or too much?  When the river is dry (or raging over its banks)? I’m not saying this negates the meaning of the psalm, but it’s something to think about.


Opportunities:



“Always give credit where credit is due.” This is a piece of advice that I heard as a young age and I have taken it to heart. It is important in just about every context: on a team, at work, at home, wherever.   Giving credit to others (when they deserve it) builds up community, fosters respect and creates good things and it will.  It also changes your own outlook on things.  You don’t have to wear yourself out convincing everyone of how you save the world every single day.  You don’t have to scramble for the advantage.  You can have peace within you.  When it comes to our worship of God, this maxim is especially important.  This psalm is giving credit where credit is due.  How can we do that in our own worship?


The Good News: 



There’s nothing like trying to grow something that teaches you how little control we really have.  Whether it comes to planting a garden, a field, starting a business, whatever…we soon learn that we don’t have control over everything….or even many things.  Then it comes to trust, to faith.  And we can trust in God.  Even if the present situation does not look promising, living a life of trust is a truly amazing thing. 


Second Lesson: Romans 8:1-11

Challenges:



So I was reading this passage in order to write a few things for this blog…and I had to start again a few times because my mind was wandering.  If you have someone from your congregation reading this lesson, either encourage them to speak slowly and read it MANY times themselves before they read it in worship…or you can just assume that it won’t be understood by the vast majority of those listening.

Opportunities:



“To set the mind on the flesh is death…” is a statement that might sound very judgmental: watch out you naughty child! If you don’t shape up you are about to be punished! At the same time, it can be taken in a very different way.  Rather than seeing this as God cramping our style or keeping us from having fun, look at this as a simple statement of how things work. Death is the natural outcome of setting the mind on the flesh…it’s just what happens.  How many of these sorts of statements in scripture can be viewed in this way?  Instead of God ruining our fun with Jesus Christ, God is actually SAVING or RESCUING us from the things that will destroy us.

The Good News: 



“…you are in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God dwells in you.”  What a tremendous relief…the kind of relief that will make you take a very deep breath that borders on a sigh.  I certainly have plenty of experience in feeling hostile toward God’s will and kingdom…thanks be to God that God’s Spirit is within me! If I am honest with myself I, I know that without it, I’m sunk.  When I think about this, I want other people to experience this state of being, to have Christ in them, to live according to the Spirit.  That tug on my heart is the beginning of evangelism…sharing the good news.

Gospel: Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23

Challenges:



Okay, so I can read this parable and its explanation and get rather depressed. Think of all of the people who either don’t act on the Word or, when they do, drift away from it.  On one level, it’s rather easy for me to see myself in one of those “less-than-awesome” categories like the rocky soil or the path. It might be tempting to somehow sugar-coat” the text by saying that these different ways of responding to the word are the same person at different times and, while there might be some truth to that, I am pretty sure that’s not what Jesus had in mind here. Also, my own experience bears this out rather accurately. I could tell you stories about people who fit all of these categories. Which brings us back to my original “challenge.” It’s easy to read this passage and feel either very depressed or very self-righteous.  How do we combat this?


Opportunities:


I once preached a sermon on this text by pretending to be a tour guide who kept saying things like "Alright everyone follow me...we're walking, we're walking...we have many sites to see today so please stay with me...we're walking, we're walking...and we're stopping..." It was fun. I even wore a silly hat and had a ribbon on a string like many tour guides do.

As we "traveled" on our sight-seeing trip, we noticed all of the different types of soil mentioned in the parable. This gave me a good chance to describe each one in turn.


The Good News:


Okay, I'll admit it, this Gospel lesson is quite a challenge when it comes to finding some "good news" or gracious action on the part of God.  (I guess I already mentioned that in the challenges section, but it bears repeating).  There's quite a bit of soil that fails to grow anything and some of the soil that does, can't go for long.  Fun times, huh?  One thing that I do appreciate this parable, however, is the image of a sower [Jesus] who is extravagantly throwing the Word of the Kingdom just about everywhere.  He doesn't stop to check on the soil, he just throws the seed. I like the thought of a savior who is extravagant with the Word of the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment